Everyone might be distracted by E3, but Epic Games continues to update Fortnite: Battle Royale, as it always does. The new 9.20 content update adds a throwable item named the storm flip and brings back the Sword Fight limited-time mode. You can read the full patch notes, via Epic Games, for update 9.20 below. The patch is now live on PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, and mobile.
The storm flip is a new weapon that, according to Epic, “explodes on impact and creates a sphere-shaped zone.” This zone brings Fortnite’s evil storm to any safe zone, and makes any storm zone safe. You can therefore use it in a pinch if the storm has caught up with you–or throw it at an enemy to subject them to the storm’s damage-dealing abilities, even when they would normally be safe.
This flipped zone lasts for 20 seconds and is only available in Epic rarity, from floor loot, chests, and vending machines. Storm flips come in stacks of one, which is also the maximum number you can hold at any time.
This week’s LTM is Sword Fight, which will be familiar to many Fortnite fans. The mode is largely unchanged from when it was last seen, and yes, the Infinity Blade is available in some treasure chests. Notably, the mode originally debuted around the time that Epic ended support for its Infinity Blade mobile game series.
Elsewhere, update 9.20 vaults the hunting rifle, which is no longer available in game. Epic explained the decision by saying the weapon “has become somewhat outclassed by the infantry rifle after it was changed to hitscan.” The developer continued: “There are a few sniper rifle options available and we feel it doesn’t currently fill a necessary role in the item lineup.”
Coinciding with the release of this update is the debut of Week 5 challenges. Among other things, you’ll need to track down the locations of wind turbines, which we’ve done for you in a handy guide that should help to expedite the process.
In other Fortnite news, players have recently spotted a giant eyeball encased in ice within the game. The eye can be found underneath Polar Peak. It’s still unclear just what this means for the game, although fans are theorizing it could lead to some kind of community event or even a Godzilla: King of the Monsters tie-in, which certainly wouldn’t be out of the ordinary, as Epic has previously held tie-in events for John Wick and Avengers: Endgame. You can watch some footage of the eyeball here.
Fortnite: Battle Royale Update 9.20 Patch Notes
Weapons And Items
- Storm Flip
- Thrown item that explodes on impact and creates a sphere-shaped zone.
- Where the sphere overlaps the storm, it will create a safe zone.
- Where the sphere overlaps a safe zone, it will create a storm zone.
- The Storm Flip deals the same damage as the current storm.
- The zone lasts for 20 seconds before dissipating.
- Available in Epic Rarity.
- Can be found from Floor Loot, Chests, and Vending Machines.
- Drops in stacks of 1.
- Max stack of 1.
- Hunting Rifle all variants
- While we value the variety of longer range sniping options, the Hunting Rifle has become somewhat outclassed by the Infantry Rifle after it was changed to hitscan. In addition, there are a few Sniper Rifle options available and we feel it doesn’t currently fill a necessary role in the item lineup.
- Loot Carrier
- Reduced sniper package availability from 12.5% to 8.45%
- Reduced explosive package availability from 12.5% to 7.04%
- The chances of getting high-powered, rare items from Supply Drones was higher than felt appropriate, so we’ve reduced their availability slightly
- Mounted turret
- Overheat now takes 20% longer.
- The Mounted Turret’s usage has decreased over time. By slightly increasing time before Overheat, the goal is to help increase its risk/reward.
- Increased max charge time on Boom Bow from 1s to 1.25s
- The Boom Bow is a bit stronger than we’d like. This adjustment should reduce frequency between shots, making misses riskier. We’d like to evaluate the impact of this change before making any additional adjustments, and it’s possible that more tweaks will be necessary if this doesn’t have the desired effect.
- The Slipstream’s audio, pink ring, and spinning blades turn off when disabled during the fifth phase of the Storm.
- Players revived from a Reboot Van will lose invulnerability upon shooting or building.
- Air Vents are now more forgiving in order to prevent fall damage when players jump on them from high places.
- Fixed an issue in which weapons that previously had no ammo would be unable to be automatically reloaded.
- Fixed an issue where players would take fall damage after exiting a Baller quickly rolling downhill.
- Aim assist can no longer be used to fire at players using a Shadow Bomb.
- Fixed an issue where players could damage teammates who were disconnected from the match.
- Fixed an issue where the Flying Disc Toy would get caught on Ballers in mid-air.
- Fixed an issue where Slipstream audio and visual FX would continue to occur after the player exits.
- Fixed an issue where Air Vents’ sound and visual effects occurred more than once.
- Fixed an issue in which Driftboards were unable to exit Slipstreams.
- Exiting a vehicle that had entered a Slipstream no longer causes players to skydive.
- Vending Machines no longer become unusable when a player using one gets eliminated.
- The Flint-Knock Pistol is now consistently able to knock targets and the shooter the correct distance.
- Dynamite audio no longer gets stuck on a loop during replays.
- The lava bounce visual effect no longer persists if a Baller bounces from lava to water.
- Auto Swap Material option was removed and is always on.
- Removing the option allowed us to optimize Auto-Swap behavior, primarily reducing rare cases in which materials did not swap properly.
- Increased duration for how long elimination credit can be granted to the last damager.
- Fall damage from 15s to 60s
- Self-elimination from 15s to 60s
- Storm elimination from 5s to 60s
- Added support for foot controller devices to the Accessibility options.
- Adjusted Invert Aircraft Controls setting info to better describe the option.
- Gamepad custom build controls now consistently allow players to turbo build when using the ‘Place’ action while simultaneously having the ‘Stair,’ ‘Wall,’ ‘Roof,’ or ‘Floor’ action bound.
- Players outside closed enemy structures can no longer build inside them.
- Fixed an issue in which the destruction of a building could be interrupted by reconnecting it to its base.
- Fixed an issue in which players would hang in the air if they disconnected during the bus drop phase.
- Certain Fortbytes requiring a specific cosmetic item now correctly unlock for players who have it equipped.
Updated reload sounds for weapons to be mono instead of stereo. This will help with spatialization improvements for weapon swap sounds.
- The storm damage sound effect no longer ends prematurely.
- Introducing Quick Heal
- Allows for Shield and Health consumables to be used more easily.
- When health or shields are below 100 (max) – the quick heal button will display on screen.
- Separate button that needs to be added manually from the HUD Layout Tool.
- Button Icon displays the current priority items from the player’s inventory
- Priority 1 – Chug Jug over all other healing items
- Priority 2 – Health over Shield items
- Priority 3 – MedKit over Bandages.
- Priority 4 – If shields are below 50, Small Shields
- Priority 5 – If shields are greater or equal to 50, Shield Potions
- Added an “X” (Exit) button to close several screens where the “Close” button was too small.
- Players will now get an error message if they try to update the game but have insufficient storage space.
- Fixed an issue where outfits wouldn’t be displayed properly after logging out and back in.
- Aim assist and Auto fire can no longer be used to fire at players using a Shadow Bomb
- Fixed an issue for Android players encountering an error when trying to watch live matches.
- Fixed an issue with doors and ziplines being interactable from long distances.
- Centered Events and Challenges screens on devices with a 4:3 display.
- Fixed an issue with the Combat/Build Mode button bringing players back into combat mode mid-animation.
- Fixed an issue where the names of an eliminated team remained under the spectated player.
- Controller blueprint appears correctly when viewed with devices with a wider screen.
Source: Read Full Article
- Allows for Shield and Health consumables to be used more easily.
We’ve noticed iOS patches have experienced delays appearing in the App Store recently. Apple has stated that any application can take up to 24 hours to appear in the App Store. If no update is available, be sure to check our social channels for more info.
Limited-Time Mode Rotation
Treasure chest contain Epic or better weapons as well as the occasional Infinity Blade! Fight your opponents to find out who is worthy of the Blade… and who is not.