Join Transform 2021 this July 12-16. Register for the AI event of the year.
Subscription and recurring billing tools provider Chargebee today said that it raised $125 million in series G funding co-led by Sapphire Ventures, Tiger Global, and Insight Venture Partners. With the fresh round of capital, which values Chargebee at $1.4 billion post-money, the company says that it plans to increase its investments in expansion and partnerships, setting the stage for an IPO.
The pandemic accelerated the shift to software-as-a-service (SaaS) and subscription-based business models, with companies expecting a 12% compound annual growth rate from recurring revenue over the next five years. By some estimates, 40% of ecommerce revenue comes from repeat purchasers — streaming music subscriptions alone generated $19.1 billion in 2018. But only 32% of online bills are made on a recurring basis, while the remaining 68% are one-time payments.
Chargebee’s platform automates things like funneling users toward plans and collecting payment information, as well as executing upgrade or downgrade billing adjustments and facilitating recurring subscription renewals. For tasks it can’t handle automatically, Chargebee enlists human agents through customer relationship management dashboards from Zendesk, Salesforce, and NetSuite while guiding customers through a customizable checkout experience.
Courtesy of integrations with Stripe, Braintree, WorldPay, and PayPal payment products, customers using Chargebee can pay with digital wallets like Amazon Pay and Apple Pay; with credit or debit cards; or directly through their bank accounts. Chargebee supports over 480 recurring billing use cases, with more than 20 payment gateways across over 50 countries. And the platform is available for upwards of 120 currencies and payment methods in dozens of languages.
Above: Chargebee’s dashboard.
Chargebee features a range of pricing schemes including variable and usage-based pricing, and the platform is able to renew billing cycles based on sign-up or other dates. Chargebee can also selectively route payments and currencies in keeping with predefined rules. The platform’s optional Smart Dunning feature algorithmically susses out retry logic across days and times for failed payments.
On Chargebee’s backend, managers get a visual customer organizational chart that allows them to define payment and invoicing responsibilities. They can also access templatized reports and KPI dashboards with metrics such as subscription revenue, discount, bad debt, and add-on metrics, all of which feed into accounting platforms like NetSuite, Intacct, and Xero. Teams receive real-time notifications if any tracked goals meet or exceed expectations or the team is in danger of falling behind.
Customers and competition
Chargebee competes with publicly traded Zuora and with ReCharge and Recurly, which create and maintain software subscription-based service solutions for businesses. But Chargebee is evidently doing something right — its customers include Okta, Freshworks, Calendly, and Study.com. And Chargebee claims to have a net retention rate exceeding $150.
In fact, Chargebee claims to have the largest footprint of any revenue management provider in its segment, with businesses in 160 countries across North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia processing billions of dollars in revenue. The company’s customer base has grown to thousands of companies across SaaS, direct-to-consumer ecommerce, over-the-top streaming, elearning, and publishing, and Chargebee says it is continuing to benefit from a “global surge” in subscription services deployments. A report from Zuora suggests 22% of companies have seen their subscription growth accelerate since the start of the pandemic, particularly in categories like video streaming and digital news and media.
Chargebee’s latest investment round was led by Insight Venture Partners, with participation from existing investors. It brings Chargebee’s total funding to date to $218 million, following a $55 million round in October 2020.
- up-to-date information on the subjects of interest to you
- our newsletters
- gated thought-leader content and discounted access to our prized events, such as Transform 2021: Learn More
- networking features, and more
Source: Read Full Article