While we didn’t get a look at the Nintendo Switch 2, the September 2023 Nintendo Direct was packed full of announcements and gameplay reveals. The show kicked off with a look at the Splatoon 3 Side Order DLC, which launches next spring. The new single-player campaign sees players attempt to best the Spire of Order, where you’ll “strengthen your character’s abilities as you ascend the Spire’s floors again and again”. Confirming earlier rumours, Nintendo would then announce a new Mario vs. Donkey Kong game for February 2024. The latest game in the popular series features a selection of increasingly challenging puzzles, as well as local co-op play.
Fans were then treated to a look at Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown gameplay, which is a slick side-scrolling game launching next January. All of the announcements and footage can be seen in the presentation above.
In a pleasant surprise, Nintendo unveiled a sequel to Horizon Chase Turbo, which is out now in the eShop. Available for the discounted price of £15.99, Horizon Chase 2 features the same arcade action as the original, albeit with a host of new tracks, dynamic weather and online and local multiplayer.
Launching on November 14, Konami’s Super Crazy Rhythm Castle was given a gameplay trailer, followed by Bandai Namco’s SPYxANYA.
Nintendo’s upcoming Super Mario RPG remake continues to impress with its latest trailer. The game launches in November, with pre-orders available now.
The Nintendo Direct continued with the surprise announcement of Another Code: Recollection. The bundle contains the fan favourite Another Code: Two Memories from the DS, as well as its Wii sequel, Another Code: R – A Journey Into Lost Memories.
- Princess Peach: Showtime!: The leading lady is ready for her spotlight on Nintendo Switch. Just as Princess Peach and her retinue of Toads are attending a show at the Sparkle Theater, the wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch take centre stage to cause a ruckus. Now it’s up to Peach and Stella, the theatre’s guardian, to save the play – and the day. Luckily, Peach has gained some showstopping abilities: she can now use the power of Stella’s ribbon, and she can also transform! For example, Peach can become a Swordfighter to fend off foes with sensational swordplay, mix it up with martial arts moves as Kung Fu Peach, or show off her sweet skills as a pastry chef. And one more thing – she can even crack the case as Detective Peach. In this adventure, the gameplay changes depending on Peach’s role, and even more surprising transformations are waiting to be revealed. Princess Peach: Showtime! makes its debut on Nintendo Switch on 22nd March 2024. Pre-orders begin today on Nintendo eShop.
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door: The Nintendo GameCube game returns with updated graphics. Turn the page and join Mario and friends in an RPG adventure to discover the legendary treasure behind the ancient Thousand-Year Door. Will Mario complete his papery quest, or will he crumple under the pressure? Find out when Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door unfolds on Nintendo Switch in 2024. More information about this game will be available in the future.
- F-ZERO 99: Rev up your engines and get ready to tear up the track, because with 99 racers on the course the margin for error is zero. F-ZERO 99 features courses and machines from the original Super NES game in challenging multiplayer races brimming with high-speed, high-stakes action. Your Power Meter is your key to first place – it will decrease if you crash, or you can burn some of it to fuel a temporary speed boost. If the meter runs out, you’re eliminated. You can even relive your classic F-ZERO glory days with the Super NES controller, available exclusively to Nintendo Switch Online members. Plus, complete goals while racing to unlock cosmetic options for your machine, so you can be as flashy as you are fast. Race your way to first place in F-ZERO 99, available exclusively for active Nintendo Switch Online members later today.
- Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD: Explore multiple spooky mansions and clean house as the easily scared Luigi in this visually enhanced version of Luigi’s Mansion 2. Evershade Valley is filled with chilling locales to visit and clever ghosts to capture. Luckily, Luigi has the tools for the job, like the Strobulb to stun enemies and his trusty Poltergust to vacuum up ghosts or interact with the environment. Good thing, because his paranormal escapades will take him to a variety of places, including a former plant research lab, a broken-down clock factory and an icy, snow-covered mine, just to name a few. Plus, hunt ghosts with up to four players online*4 in group “exorcises” across different multiplayer modes, or conjure up fun frights in the local multiplayer*3 ScareScraper mode. Luigi’s Mansion 2 HD creeps onto Nintendo Switch in summer 2024.
- Detective Pikachu Returns: This detective’s got a second bolt of brilliance! In this cinematic adventure, Detective Pikachu and his partner Tim Goodman investigate various cases around Ryme City while searching for Harry, Tim’s missing father. They’ll also work with other Pokémon to broaden the scope of their investigations as they follow scents with Growlithe, smash rocks with Darmanitan and peer through walls with Luxray. Can Tim and Pikachu solve all the mysteries and find Tim’s father? Find out when Detective Pikachu Returns launches on Nintendo Switch on 6th October. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass – Side Order: Challenge your slick skills in this new single-player campaign. Introducing the Spire of Order, where you’ll strengthen your character’s abilities as you ascend the Spire’s floors again and again. Splatoon 3: Expansion Pass – Side Order*1 is planned to release in spring 2024.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: The rivalry that heated up on Game Boy Advance reignites on Nintendo Switch. Donkey Kong has stolen the Mini-Mario toys, and Mario is determined to track him down and get them back. Use your brain and brawn to make it through a barrel of increasingly challenging levels – and in this updated version of the game, you can even play with a friend in local co-op.*3 Grab keys and navigate perilous platforms with handstand jumps and backflips and lead the Mini-Mario toys to safety. Then prepare to face Donkey Kong head on! Mario vs. Donkey Kong launches on Nintendo Switch on 16th February 2024. Pre-orders begin today on Nintendo eShop.
- Another Code: Recollection: The Nintendo DS game Another Code: Two Memories and its Wii sequel, Another Code: R – A Journey Into Lost Memories, are coming together, fully enhanced, on Nintendo Switch. A young girl named Ashley receives a letter from her father, who she thought had passed away. Seeking answers, she sets off for a solitary island in search of him. Once there, Ashley encounters puzzles and obstacles that threaten to hinder her investigation. Find the traces of her past and experience the full story in Another Code: Recollection, launching on Nintendo Switch on 19th January 2024. Pre-orders begin today on Nintendo eShop.
- Super Mario RPG: The Super NES game is back with updated graphics and new features. Mario and Bowser form an unprecedented alliance to take on a fearsome foe, and joining them are Princess Peach and original characters Mallow and Geno. In battle, time your button presses with Action Commands to increase damage dealt or decrease damage received. Now when you time your attacks perfectly, you can damage all enemies at once. Successful Action Commands will fill the Action Gauge that, when full, will unleash a three-character Triple Move. The Triple Move changes based on your current party, so try out different combos. Just like the original game, you’ll encounter bosses with colourful personalities in your adventure. This time, once you clear the game, you can challenge some of them again, but these powered-up bosses won’t be easy. Super Mario RPG comes down the pipe on Nintendo Switch on 17th November. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- WarioWare: Move It!: Join Wario and visit a tropical resort brimming with a multitude of motion-based microgames. But there’s no time to unwind, because these lightning-fast microgames are served to you one after another – so get ready to get moving! Up to four players*3 can gently shake, wiggle and battle it out locally in Party Mode. With over 200 microgames and multiplayer modes aplenty, everyone’s in for a laugh with Wario. WarioWare: Move It! launches on Nintendo Switch on 3rd November. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass Wave 6: The final wave of DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is nearing the finish line. Drift and drive under an amber sky in Daisy Circuit from Mario Kart Wii, and put the pedal to the metal with more returning characters, including Diddy Kong from Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Funky Kong from Mario Kart Wii and, from Mario Kart Tour, Pauline and Peachette. Wave 6 of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC*5 sails onto Nintendo Switch in winter 2023. Active Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack members can enjoy this DLC at no additional cost. The DLC can also be purchased on its own. Plus, a boxed version of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Booster Course Pass DLC bundled with some extra goodies*6 is racing into stores on 6th October. Stay tuned for more information in the future.
- New amiibo figures are also on the way. Zelda and Ganondorf from The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom will release individually on 3rd November; Noah and Mio from Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will be arriving as a set on 19th January 2024; and dropping in 2024, the final DLC fighter from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Sora from Kingdom Hearts. With the release of Sora, all Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighters will have their own amiibo figures.
- Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft: Uncover treasures and mysteries of the ancient world alongside Lara Croft in three classic Tomb Raider adventures – now remastered and featuring each game’s expansion content. Face off against deadly foes, reveal dangerous myths and solve puzzles with upgraded graphics and the option to switch to the original polygonal look at any time. Tomb Raider I-III Remastered Starring Lara Croft is available for pre-order later today and launches digitally on Nintendo eShop on 14th February 2024, just in time to celebrate Lara Croft’s birthday!
- Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown: Prince of Persia returns in this action-adventure platformer. Meet new characters, uncover mysteries and explore an engaging narrative set in a mythological Persian world in this new instalment of the legendary franchise. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown launches on Nintendo Switch on 18th January 2024. Pre-orders begin today on Nintendo eShop.
- Trombone Champ: Get ready to toot your own…trombone?! Honk, blow and toot through over 45 songs in this trombone-based rhythm music game. Better playing means more toots to earn. The Nintendo Switch version includes local multiplayer*3, allowing up to four players to pitch together in (relative) harmony. Plus, move to the beat with Motion Controls, collect cards and meet mysterious characters along the way to becoming top brass of the Trombiverse. Trombone Champ launches on Nintendo eShop later today.
- DAVE THE DIVER: Dive by day, serve by night! Explore the deep sea and manage a sushi bar in this single-player, casual adventure RPG. Join Dave and his quirky friends as they seek to uncover the secrets lurking in the depths of the mysterious Blue Hole. Unravel an ocean’s worth of mysteries, play minigames, complete side quests and maintain a successful sushi business in this marine-themed adventure. DAVE THE DIVER splashes down first for consoles on Nintendo Switch on 26th October. Pre-orders and a free demo of the game will be available later today on Nintendo eShop.
- Unicorn Overlord: Fight against fate and embark on a royal adventure to regain your reign in the timeless RPG Unicorn Overlord. From the creators of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, Unicorn Overlord combines overworld exploration and an innovative battle system in the iconic Vanillaware style. Traverse the vibrant world, cultivate a grand army with over 60 distinct characters and grow your renown throughout the five nations in this epic fantasy experience. Liberate your kingdom and reclaim your destiny! Unicorn Overlord launches on Nintendo Switch on 8th March 2024.
- SaGa Emerald Beyond: A multi-layered RPG full of rich stories awaits in SaGa Emerald Beyond. Experience the distinct and dramatic stories of six heroes with vastly different backgrounds, including a young man who fights with sentient puppets, a witch masking her identity, a crime-fighting duo, a songstress mech who lost her voice and body, and a recently awakened king of darkness. Select a hero, then follow their journey through 17 interconnected worlds as they forge their own unique branching stories that unfold based on your choices and actions. Think strategically to master the turn-based combat to delay enemy actions and unleash devastating United Attacks. How the story unfolds is in your hands. SaGa Emerald Beyond launches on Nintendo Switch next year.
- Among Us Fungle Map: Grab your crew and get ready to explore a brand-new free map*7 in Among Us, the hit online*4 multiplayer game of teamwork and betrayal. Welcome to the Fungle, a mysterious, mushroom-filled island teeming with hiding spots, tasks and secrets to discover – but beware of the Impostors bent on eliminating everyone. The Fungle map comes to Among Us this October.
- Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story: This single-player, story-driven adventure follows League of Legends champions, and best friends, Nunu and Willump. Experience their unbreakable bond as they go on the ultimate road trip through the mysterious region of the Freljord and meet legendary champions along the way. Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story launches on Nintendo Switch on 1st November.
- Bandle Tale: A League of Legends Story: This crafting RPG is set in the magical world of Bandle City – a region that’s home to the furry and fun-loving Yordles. Play as a shy Yordle whose world is thrown into chaos when portals connecting Bandle City collapse. With the help of knitting magic, new friends and an unflappable spirit, players can help the Yordles restore the portals and reunite Bandle City. Bandle Tale: A League of Legends Story launches on Nintendo Switch next year.
- BATTLE CRUSH: Experience adrenaline-fueled action with simple, fast-paced gameplay in a 30-player*8 brawl-for-all! Join an intense showdown between characters fighting to reach the top and feel the rush of excitement as you jump, swim and soar across the battlefield to crush your rivals. BATTLE CRUSH slams onto Nintendo Switch next spring. A closed beta test will be available this October.
- Contra: Operation Galuga: The legendary Contra series is back! Contra: Operation Galuga is a modern reimagining of the classic run-‘n’-gun action game from the ’80s, featuring modern graphics and sound. Encounter new stages, new play mechanics, an updated weapons system and explosive co-op combat for up to two players in Story Mode or four players in Arcade Mode*3. Contra: Operation Galuga rockets onto Nintendo Switch in early 2024.
- Eastward: Octopia: Enter a parallel world of Eastward in this upcoming DLC*9 adventure. Sam and John return as farmers in a remote mountainside village to start life anew. Work the land, tend livestock and cook heart-warming meals for familiar – yet strangely different – friends. Enjoy the good life in peaceful pixel surroundings in this country life sim. Eastward: Octopia launches on Nintendo Switch this winter.
- Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes: Lead more than 100 distinct heroes and save the war-torn continent of Allraan in this modern take on a classic JRPG experience. Confront foes in strategic Duels and intense War Battles, recruit allies, manage your town and create your ideal six-character party in your campaign against the power-seeking Galdean Empire. Shape your story by dint of sword when Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes launches on Nintendo Switch on 23rd April 2024.
- Horizon Chase 2: Gear up for high-speed arcade action and burn rubber in Horizon Chase 2, the next evolution of the award-winning racing franchise. Soak in the pulsating hues of scenic racetracks and employ sharp skills to beat your opponents to the finish line. Join friends for local multiplayer*3 racing or take on rivals in heated online*4 challenges. Plus, assemble an Online Crew and make progress together in the World Tour mode or compete head-to-head for personal glory. Horizon Chase 2 goes full throttle on Nintendo Switch later today.
- SPYxANYA: Operation Memories: Anya Forger has a new school assignment: create a photo diary! Spend time with Anya’s family and friends at school, home, the beach, museums and other familiar places, and take pictures to fill up her photo diary with memorable moments. In addition to outings, play a variety of minigames to unlock costumes and add some flair to Anya’s memories by dressing everyone up in style. SPYxANYA: Operation Memories launches on Nintendo Switch next year.
- Super Crazy Rhythm Castle: An unforgettably chaotic rhythm adventure is coming to Nintendo Switch. Time your button presses with the music to solve puzzles and battle bosses, and rock out to over 30 thrilling tracks – including songs from fan-favourite Konami games. Can you perfect “Bloody Tears” and “Vampire Killer” from Castlevania? Turn up the volume for Super Crazy Rhythm Castle when it launches on Nintendo Switch on 14th November. Pre-orders begin today on Nintendo eShop.
- Wargroove 2: Take to the battlefield, sea and sky and use your wits to wage turn-based battles in a new adventure, filled with unlikely friendships and unknown adversaries. Featuring signature pixel art and an interweaving story, Wargroove 2 brings together three campaigns, a new roguelike game mode and a fresh cast of Commanders, including the newly revealed faction of mousefolk, the Faahri. Wargroove 2 enters the fray on Nintendo Switch on 5th October. Pre-orders begin today on Nintendo eShop.
- Wartales: Lead a group of mercenaries in their quest for infamy and fortune across a vast, medieval world in Wartales. Customise your group’s appearance, skills and equipment, then craft a cunning strategy to overcome your foes in tactical turn-based combat. Plus, up to four players can share command of a troop and overcome foes as a team in online multiplayer*4. Wartales launches on Nintendo Switch later today.
One of the highlights of the show was an extended look at Princess Peach: Showtime! on the Nintendo Switch.
“Just as Princess Peach and her retinue of Toads are attending a show at the Sparkle Theater, the wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch take centre stage to cause a ruckus.
“Now it’s up to Peach and Stella, the theatre’s guardian, to save the play – and the day. Luckily, Peach has gained some showstopping abilities: she can now use the power of Stella’s ribbon, and she can also transform!”
Peach can transform into a Swordfighter, a Kung Fu master, pastry chef and even a detective. Players will need to use these abilities to defeat enemies and solve puzzles along the way.
Colourful role-playing game SaGa Emerald Beyond was next up, followed by the surprise reveal of Tomb Raider I-III Remastered, which launches on February 14. The game contains remastered versions of the original Tomb Raider trilogy, complete with expansions. If you don’t like the new and improved visuals, you can switch back to the original graphical style at any time.
Store lots and lots of Nintendo Switch games on this officially licensed Legend of Zelda-themed 1TB microSDXC card from SanDisk.
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Fans were then treated to another trailer for Detective Pikachu Returns on Nintendo Switch, followed by unique rhythm action game Trombone Champ, multiplayer brawler BATTLE CRUSH. and turn-based strategy game Wartales.
I was personally excited to see Contra: Operation Galuga, which is described as a “reimagining of the classic run-and-gun action game from the 1980s”. You’ll be able to play the side-scrolling action game early next year.
The Nintendo Direct continued with a look at impressive looking role-playing game Unicorn Overlord, followed by a proper look at the Luigi’s Mansion 2 remaster launching next summer, and then the Nintendo Museum and some new amiibo.
While it wasn’t the new F-Zero entry fans were hoping for, Nintendo surprised fans by announcing F-Zero 99, which is a 99-person Battle Royale-style remake of the classic SNES game. Unfortunately, it’s only available for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers, although you can start playing right now.
The announcement of a new F-Zero release was followed by gameplay trailers for Bandle Tale: A League of Legends Story, Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story, WarioWare: Move It!, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Eastward: Octopia, Wargroove 2 and Dave the Diver on Nintendo Switch.
Launching this winter, Nintendo shed some light on the final Mario Kart 8 Deluxe course pack, which adds new characters such as Diddy Kong, Funky Kong, Pauline and Peachette. That’s on top of the Daisy Circuit from Mario Kart Wii.
After showing off a new level for Among Us, the Direct conference ended with confirmation that Gamecube classic (and one of my favourite games ever) Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is getting a Nintendo Switch re-release in 2024.
Source: Read Full Article